On Monday, October 15, members of the West Coast MTO Agreement (WCMTOA) announced the revised Off-Peak program for providing extended gate hours at the Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach (PierPass 2.0) is expected to start Nov. 19, subject to the conclusion of applicable Federal Maritime Commission procedures. The current congestion-pricing model, including a Traffic Mitigation Fee (TMF) charged on daytime moves, will be replaced with an appointment-based system that uses a single flat fee on both daytime and nighttime container moves. (Source: www.pierpass.org/)
The following is what you need to know about the changes effective November 19:
Appointments will be Required for All Import Container Pickups
All marine container terminals at the Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach will require appointments. Appointments are to be made through the terminal systems, not through PierPass. Terminal appointment system and related information can be accessed at http://wcmtoa.org/appointment-systems/.
Reduced Flat TMF will be Applied Across All Hours
- The TMF previously charged on peak (weekday, daytime) cargo moves will be replaced by a reduced fee that is consistently applied across all hours and days of operation.
- The TMF will be $31.52 per TEU (twenty-foot container). The TMF for all other size containers will be $63.04.
No Change in the Type of Containers Subject to TMF
The following moves will remain exempt from the TMF:
- Empty containers
- Rail intermodal containers
- Transshipped containers (cargo that arrives at the Port of Los Angeles or Long Beach on one vessel and leaves on a second vessel without entering U.S. commerce)
- Domestic cargo
- Bare chassis
Two-Hour Appointment Windows and Last Appointment Times
- The appointment window (the time span between the earliest and latest times a truck can arrive for an appointment, including grace periods) will be two hours for all appointments.
- At all terminals, the last appointment times of each day will be 3:30pm on the first shift and 1:30am on the second shift.
How to Register with PierPass
Cargo owners moving containers into and out of the ports by truck gate and who are not already registered with PierPass can register at: https://www.pierpass-tmf.org/.
For More Information
PierPass OffPeak Appointment System with Flat Fee Questions and Answers (Q&A) are available on the PierPass website: www.pierpass.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/QA-on-New-OffPeak-Program_4-16-18.pdf.
Contact information for individual terminals is available at http://wcmtoa.org/terminals/contacts/.
For additional information, please contact your MIQ Logistics representative.